Having proper attic insulation is a must. Insulation protects your home from extreme outdoor temperature fluctuations and improves air quality. It keeps your building warm in the winter and cool in the summer, lowering your electricity consumption.
In the long term, having the best insulation for your attic will actually save you money! In California, it can even qualify you for an energy-saving rebate!
But installing insulation yourself can be time-consuming and difficult. If you’re not interested in becoming a Mr., Mx., or Mrs. Fix-It, hiring professional attic insulation contractors will save you all of the headaches. That is, as long as you choose a reliable service provider. In this post, we’ll give you some tips for finding an attic insulation company that you can trust.
1) Specialized Attic Insulation Services
Many contractors offer insulation installation, but we always recommend looking for a specialist. Installing insulation for attic is more complicated than many people realize, and it often requires special knowledge in other areas, like rodent control, HVAC, and more. Avoid generalists, but do consider other areas of expertise that might also be relevant to the specific condition of your attic.
2) Free Inspections Quotes Available
There are a lot of factors that can impact the type of insulation your home may need and how much the attic insulation service will cost. The company you hire should offer very transparent action plans and pricing, which require a free inspection. A free quote doesn’t mean anything without an inspection.
That’s why, at Green Rodent Restoration, we will always come and examine the situation. We’ll let you know what kind of insulation services you need and what kind of timeline you can expect for completion. Based on those factors, we’ll also quote you a reasonable price.
3) Reviews and Ratings
In this day and age, there’s no reason to hire a company without first looking at their ratings and reviews. Websites like Yelp and Google Maps are fountains of knowledge, letting you browse your area, see star ratings, and read reviews. Here are our tips to get the most out of reviews and ratings:
- Look for companies with 4 stars and above. Some customers can have very specific pet peeves so even the best providers can stumble, but 4 stars and over suggests that most people had a great experience.
- Read the most recent reviews! Businesses can change staff or hands, so it’s important to know what the most recent experiences have been like.
- Use Google or Yelp’s review search function, and look for “insulation” – this will allow you to see all of the reviews that mention attic insulation specifically.
- Pay special attention to 2, 3, and 4-star reviews. Those tend to include the most nuance and detail. Consider how the information in the reviews applies to you and your preferences. Something that might be a pet peeve for one reviewer could actually be a positive for you!
4) Multiple Material Options
A key benefit of hiring specialized insulation professionals is that they’ll know what is the best attic insulation material for your home. Look for service providers that offer a wide range of insulation materials. During your free inspection, the company representative will explain the options and recommend the best material for your home.
Here are the main material options that should be available:
- Fiberglass is usually the best insulation for attics in California. It tends to work best in hot climates because it’s fire-retardant, waterproof, made from safe materials, and it has the best longevity. It’s available as both blanket batts or loose fill.
- Cellulose is appropriate in some circumstances, although it’s not our usual recommendation. In the short term, it has a better insulating effect, although it’s not as waterproof and must be replaced more frequently than fiberglass.
- Radiant barrier is a type of reflective insulation that’s perfect for keeping homes cool. We often recommend it in conjunction with fiberglass.
- Spray foam is useful in insulation repair or to fill in gaps, but it’s rarely used alone.
5) Licensed and Insured
In California, the attic installation repair company you hire must have a contractor license. This information is publicly accessible, and you can usually find it just by Googling the name of the company + “contractor license.” During your initial call or inspection, you can also ask the company’s representative about insurance and coverage.
Your California Insulation Specialists
At Green Rodent Restoration, we’ve installed, replaced, and restored insulation in countless homes across California. You can read our Yelp reviews to see how thrilled our customers are with our thorough and quick attic insulation services.
If you need a pro to repair or replace attic insulation, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for a free inspection and quote.