Updated: Mar 6
Rodents are well-known for being a nuisance, whether they’re in your attic or in your yard. But what’s the case with opossums? Is it easy to get rid of opossums? Should you consider any opossum control services?
The fact is that opossums are considered pests once they get in your house. And, while they are less destructive than rodents, like squirrels, when they’re in your yard, they’ll still make quite a mess while trying to find shelter and food.
But how do possums get in your house in the first place? Don’t worry; we’ll help you find out how to get rid of opossums altogether and understand why they aren’t as dangerous as they’re made out to be.
4 Signs of Opossums in Your House
While opossums aren’t rodents, they certainly act like them. The most common signs that you have an opossum infestation are pretty similar to rat and squirrel ones and include the following:
- Exterior Damage. If you find any damage on the outer part of your walls, shed, or any part of your house, an opossum is highly likely to be the suspect. They’re notorious for their climbing skills, and they’ll essentially chew through everything, whether that’s your roof’s shingles or any type of attic insulation.
- Scratching Noises. Opossums are a curious bunch, much like other common pests. Hence, you’ll often hear them scratching around, especially at night. Keep in mind that these sounds are similar to the ones rats and mice make, but they’re noticeably louder because of the added size of the opossum.
- Unpleasant Smells. Like skunks in your garden, opossums have a distinct, pungent smell. Apart from that, they defecate significantly more than rodents, and their droppings are considerably smellier. Plus, if you don’t get rid of opossums in your attic, their carcasses will surely prompt you to do so.
- Disappearing Food. Opossums consider pet food and leftovers the best grub. Then again, if you find that even dropped fruit in your yard is missing, possums could be the reason why.
That being said, the question remains: how do possums get in your house?
How Do Possums Get in Your House
Opossums can find entry points all over your house. From your roof to a pet door, their curiosity will take the best of them, and before they know it, they’ll be on your premises. They’re also not afraid to chew out your walls while seeking shelter to get access to your house.
But, since they’re infamous climbers, opossums usually get in your house through your roof or vents.
Why Are Opossums Dangerous
Contrary to popular belief, possums aren’t that dangerous. For starters, they’re one of the few pests that rarely carry rabies, though they can have other diseases, as well as ticks and fleas. However, they can prove to be dangerous for your property.
You see, opossums will scavenge everywhere on your property for food, whether that’s bird feeders or a trip to your house’s walls. Considering the latter, this could lead to significant property damage.
How to Get Rid of Opossums
Getting rid of opossums is pretty straightforward. If they’ve gained access to your house, you can simply push them out with a broom. Or, you could lead them outside using pet food as bait.
Keep in mind that, like rodents, getting rid of possums will be significantly more difficult if they’ve just given birth. Also, while you generally won’t have issues evicting them from your house, they can be little intruders if you don’t take the right measures.
How to Prevent Opossums From Coming Back to Your House
If you’ve ever dealt with a rodent infestation, preventing opossums from returning to your house shouldn’t be a doozy. Here are some of the most common ways to repel them:
- Block Entry Points: Any holes they’ve made should be blocked immediately.
- Pungent Smells: Think of stuff like garlic, chili flakes, and ammonia.
- Motion-Activated Sprinklers: Lights could also do the trick, but sprinklers are also great for your lawn.
- Remove Food and Water Sources: This way, you’ll make your property as unappealing to them as possible.
Contact Us for the Best Opossum Control Services
While opossums are far from aggressive, they’re not the best roommates, especially when they start shrieking. Thus, knowing how to get rid of opossums is a must. So, if you’re in SoCal and are wondering who to call for possum removal services, look no further!
At Green Rodent Restoration, we pride ourselves in our rodent and opossum control services, ensuring that we get rid of them humanely and that you won’t have to deal with them again. If you’re having issues with smelly opossums, contact us for a free estimate today!